The Margaret Smiles Accompaniment Prize encourages the art of accompaniment at the ANU School of Music. This annual award is in memory of Margaret Smiles, honouring her dedication and contribution to Canberra’s musical life, in particular the School of Music Community Choir, now known as the Llewellyn Choir. Margaret was the choir’s accompanist for many years, sharing her love and joy for music with its members. She is remembered for her passion, focus and commitment to nurturing singers, revelling in the vast-ranging repertoire of the choir.
Margaret was an accomplished pianist, studying piano with Ken Hastings, Alan Jenkins and then John Luxton at the School of Music. She accompanied and coached many of Canberra’s leading performers and students in a wide range of concerts. The Margaret Smiles Accompaniment Prize, encouraging the next generation of accompanists, is a fitting tribute to her memory.
Margaret Smiles Accompaniment Prize Guidelines
- The Margaret Smiles Accompaniment Prize encourages the art of accompaniment at the ANU School of Music.
- Accompanist must be enrolled in a program leading to the award of a degree offered by the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Accompanist must perform with an instrumentalist and/or a singer
- To be eligible for the Llewellyn Choir prize, all performers must be a current student of the School of Music
- Time limit: 12 minutes (for singer) and 12 minutes (for instrumentalist) - up to 4 Art Songs with singer, and one or more movements of a Duo with the instrumentalist
- Applications open: Wednesday 10 July 2019
- Applications close: 4pm Monday 12 August 2019
- If there are a number of entries heats will be held on Tuesday 27 August 2019
- The performance and presentation of award will be held on the evening of Thursday 29 August 2019
Academic Contact: Dr Paul McMahon - firstname.lastname@example.org
For audience registration, click here.