This instrument is an example of an elegant mid-19th century square piano made by a leading Danish firm. It is remarkable for its rounded case sides, choice veneers, and ornate cast iron frame. It has a large CC–a´´´´ compass and has an English action with backcheck. The two pedals are used to lift the dampers.
Conrad Christian Hornung (1801–1873) began building pianos in 1827. He transferred ownership of the company to his assistant, Hans Møller in 1851, and Hornung & Møller continued to manufacture pianos until 1972.
This instrument was donated to the Keyboard Institute by Mr Bill Huffam in July 2009.