The U2 Conference is a meeting of academic and popular audiences for the exploration of the music, work, and influence of U2.
21 November 2019 from 10am
Studios 301, 3b Ellis Ave Alexandria NSW, 2015 Australia
Announcing a one-day edition of the U2 Conference in Sydney focusing on U2’s connections with Australia and featuring insights from the U2 Studies network and Australian academics. Featured presenters include Samantha Bennett, Associate Professor of Music, The Australian National University School of Music; Beth Nabi, The U2 Tattoo Project, Associate Professor of Graphic Design and Digital Media, University of North Florida, Jacksonville; and André Brett, Vice-Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Research Fellow in History, University of Wollongong, Australia.
Special Guest: Richard Lowenstein writer and director of U2: LoveTown and U2 music videos, the Australian cinema classic Dogs in Space, and the new feature-length documentary Mystify: Michael Hutchence.
Timed to coincide with U2’s Joshua Tree 2019 Australian tour, the conference is designed to present a range of perspectives on U2 and explore its influence by bringing together fans, academic scholars and industry. The title ‘Image + Experience’ is a play on U2’s recent ‘Innocence and Experience Tour’ and Songs of Innocence, the album famously given to iTunes users for free in 2014.
Registration is now open: https://studios301.com/u2-conference/
Registration is $99 AUD (incl GST) provides entrance to all sessions at Studios 301, a catered lunch, afternoon tea, screening of U2: LoveTown, a guided tour of Studios 30, and an evening showing of Mystify: Michael Hutchence with a drinks reception before the film.
- 9.30am – Doors Open for registration
- 10am – Opening Remarks
- 10.15am – Session 1. Panel Presentation: New Research in the Field of U2 Studies. Speakers TBA
- 11am – Session 2. Featured Presentation: Only Love Can Leave Such A Mark: The Image and Experience of U2 Fan Tattoos. Beth Nabi, the U2 Tattoo Project, Associate Professor, University of North Florida
- 11.45am – Session 3. Featured Presentation: Looking for a Sound That’s Gonna Drown Out the World: The Tech-Processual Construction of U2’s Mofo. Samantha Bennett, Associate Professor of Music, Australian National University
- 12.30pm – Lunch provided
- 1.30pm – Session 4. Screening of U2 Lovetown, written and directed by Richard Lowenstein
- 2pm – Session 5. Special Guest: A Look Back on Lovetown: Richard Lowenstein in Conversation with Q&A.
- 2.45pm – Session 6. Featured Presentation: London, Belfast, Sydney and Beyond: Does U2’s Touring Make It the Biggest Band in the World? Andre Brett, University of Wollongong and U2gigs.com
- 3pm – tea break
- 4pm – Session 7 Panel Presentation: The Rest is Up to You: Envisioning a Future for U2 Fandom and U2 Studies. Speakers TBA.
- 4.45pm – Guided tour of Studios 301
- 5.30pm – Reception
- 6pm – Film Screening: Mystify: Michael Hutchence; written and directed by Richard Lowenstein and featuring Bono.
- 8pm – Close
The U2 Conference was established by Scott Calhoun, author and Professor of English, Cedarville University, Ohio, USA. Scott has produced three instalments of the U2 Conference: in 2009 at North Carolina Central University; 2013 in collaboration with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio; and 2018 at Queens University, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
The U2 Conference Australia Edition 2019: Image + Experience is organised by:
- Naomi Dinnen, PhD candidate at The Australian National University School of Music. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott Calhoun, Director, The U2 Conference. Email: email@example.com.
- Beth Nabi created the logo for The U2 Conference Australia Edition 2019
- Supported by the Australian National University School of Music and Studios 301.