Little is known about the Frenzel Grand piano, apart from its having been made in Linz, Austria between 1840 and 1845. The instrument has a very different tone from Viennese instruments of the same period, and is very round and broad in sound, as well as being clearly articulated. It is believed that Frenzel changed the hammerheads of his instruments to be covered with felt instead of leather.
This instrument has a 6½ -octave compass, and is made from wooden frame with an iron bar to support the frame. The strings are straight strung, rather than having the bass strings run diagonally to converge over the centre of the instrument as in modern grand pianos. This instrument is best suited to the music of Schumann or Mendelssohn.
This instrument was donated to the ANU Keyboard Institute in 2010 by Dr Andrew Nolan.